Monday 6 February 2017

Lip Art: Valentine's inspired, prep to finish.

Yay! Contests!
So it's almost Valentine's and there's quite a few contests going on, I chose to enter one for now and made a look for @ryankellymua who's hosting a Valentine's lip art contest. She does some gorgeous lip pieces herself! So if you're into that go give her a follow!

Today I decided to share what goes into my usual lip project, they take anywhere between 1 - 3 hours and lots of mind over body whispering to calm my forever shaking hands. I'm always so amazed with the results myself as I'm not only shaky but really clumsy!

So here's what I always prep my station with:
Three sheets of tissue: One for the brushes to rest on once I start using them, one to place the products I'll be using as I spill (a lot) and finally one to wipe/dab my brushes from excess or simply lightly swirl clean when I've used dried products.
Q-tips: For blending, cleaning and a small helping hand.
Make-up wipe: for cleaning my mixing palette (the back of my hand), wiping brushes when changing colours, cleaning up messes.


Notoriously Morbid Slumber salve and
CometComforts plumbing balm (LE).

Before starting to put any make-up on my face I always brush my teeth, floss, wash my face and moisturize!

Following that I exfoliate my lips, use a plumping balm and top with a moisturising balm.



Brushes used L to R: Some cheap narrow lip brush I bought way back when, Real Techniques (RT) Deluxe Crease Brush, RT Accent Brush, RT Fine Liner Brush, Cozzette D240 Fusion Brush and P375 Stylist Eyeliner Brush.




For my face base I used NYX cosmetics Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk (Thank you @samshineart for this!), I lined around my mouth and drew some circular shapes outwards which I then blended into my skin with the RT Crease brush for an even colour. I did struggle blending a bit as I forgot to prime my skin... I would recommend doing that anytime you want to cover your face with anything cream based, eye liners. Once I was happy with the coverage I went in with Concrete Minerals loose shadow in Confession all over it to set and avoid shine.


My second step in this look was to do my faded, overdrawn lips.
For that I used the following colours, starting on the centre of the lips blending outwards using the fusion brush: Espionage Cosmetics Mrs.Reynolds, Tokyo Rose, Sakura, Athena and from F.A.I.R. Beauty Cosmetics Blazing Unicorn which was applied on the most elevated parts of my lips. I added the black last, not seen here, to balance the look rather then let it dictate how deep the rest of the look was going to be. (that's BS I didn't know I was doing it, winging it!)


With a white eyeliner pencil, here from Neve Cosmetics, I outline a base heart in the center of my lips. Using Espionage Cosmetics Kiss of Death Lip Serum in Fatality I make a thick mix of black gloss with F.A.I.R. Beauty Cosmetics limited edition matte black shadow The Ghoul. I use this mix with my slim lip brush to follow the heart outline. I mixed the silver (Kraken) with a bit of gloss as well for the following step.


Used a Q-tip to clean out a bit of the centre of the black heart and  makeup wipe to clean the brush. Mixing a tiny bit of the gloss and Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Goldilux I slowly and very carefully filled the black heart with gold. I used the same mix with the narrow lip brush to make wings outside the heart. Once happy with the wings I went back to the Kraken mix to give a little dimension and help the "feathers" pop using the Stylist Eyeliner Brush.


Reds!
Starting again with a Q-tip, I cleaned the center of the heart and went in with the RT accent brush loaded with Concrete Minerals loose shadow Risqué to make a red base heart. Following that step with House of Beauty's lip hybrid in Siren, this product didn't need it for opacity, I just rather fail a dry product than a glossy one as it would have mixed itself with the other colours much easier if I would have done a mistake. Luckily, everything went well. I would however recommend leaving this step til last as glosses do like to mingle and once I was done with what was to follow I had lost the crisp heart lines.

With the product left on the brush I started making swirls as bases for my roses, which at this point I didn't even know I was doing. Using the RT liner brush I did a few more detailed petals, or rather dimensions using the shadows.



For the stalks of the roses (that's what they're called right?) I used Zodiac Killer Cosmetics liquid lipstick in Pluto. I let it dry a little on the back of my hand for a more opaque colour. I used the RT fine liner for this bit.

To finish the look and tie it all together I used the Cozzette eyeliner brush and the black gloss mix to do all the lines seen.
Once that was done I did the gamble of adding black shadow with the Fusion Brush along my lower lip line. Really stupid looking back at it as it could have ruined the complete look if I would have had fallout or even a random spazy hand.



More pictures can be seen on my Instagram @cynthiaiskillikill
All brands mentioned are tagged on the pictures there for easy shopping and also have a discount code for Espionage Cosmetics! (Not affiliate code, just saving you some pennies)

No comments:

Post a Comment